May 11 - 13, 2018
Registration opens April 25 and closes May 9.
Friday PM - May 11 || 5-7pm Pacific / 8-10pm Eastern
Mind the Music
Over the course of your life, while listening to or playing music, you have probably experienced at least one of the following:
- Easy concentration
- Pleasant body sensations
- Intense emotion
- Deep calm
- A sense of becoming one with the music
Each of these represents a natural window for psychospiritual growth. In this program, you will explore listening to music of your choice as a way of deepening your mindfulness skills.
- Before beginning, you should set up your environment so that you are ready to listen to music.
- Try to have access to a good quality system using speakers, over-the-ear headphones or in-the-ear buds.
Saturday AM - May 12 || 5-9am Pacific / 8am-12pm Eastern
In this program, we’ll explore the “Nurture Positivity” techniques from ULTRA. You’ll learn the four core techniques that allow you to create, maintain, and project positivity.
- See Good, i.e., See Good Action – You visualize taking on a positive action or abstaining from a negative
- Hear Good, i.e., Hear Good Thought – You repeat a positive mindful mantra in mental talk
- Feel Good, i.e., Feel Good Emotion – You generate positive emotion in your body
- Be Good, i.e., Be Good Everywhere – All three internal elements are involved: You replace your self image with that of an ideal, archetype, avatar, or significant symbol; you replace your usual mental talk with words or sounds associated with that ideal, archetype, avatar, or significant symbol; and you create the positive body emotions that are associated with it as well.
When you become skilled at Nurturing Positivity practice, you can selectively attend to positive emotion, rational thought, positive behaviors, or archetypal ideals. This will help you to refine your personhood and be of service to others. It dramatically changes the way you relate to the world…and the way that the world relates to you! For the connection between Nurturing Positivity and other themes in Shinzen’s most recent formulation, see the description “Introduction to ULTRA.”
In preparation for this program, please:
Saturday PM - May 12 || 10am-2pm Pacific / 1-5pm Eastern
Sometimes the bulk of your experience may seem quite stable and solid, but if you know what to look for and where, you can usually find some indication of change, if only subtly. But subtle is significant! The more you focus on change, the more prominent the change becomes. This leads to numerous and important positive consequences. Unified Mindfulness offers two ways of working with Flow: Sensory Flow and Expansion-Contraction.
In sensory flow, you note whether the flow is in your visual, auditory or somatic experience. In expansion-contraction, it involves analyzing the flow of experience into its basic components: expansion (yáng) and contraction (yīn).
Sunday AM - May 13 || 8am-12pm Pacific / 11am-3pm Eastern
- All four of the Appreciation techniques: Just See, Just Hear, Just Feel and Note Everything
- All four of the Transcendence techniques: See Source, Hear Source, Feel Source, Be Source.
- All four of the Spontaneity techniques: Auto Move, Auto Speak, Auto Think, and Do Nothing
- All four of the Positivity techniques: See Good (positive behavior change), Hear Good (adaptive, rational thought), Feel Good (positive body emotion), Be Good (identify with a positive ideal, archetype or avator)
Fee: $20 per person
We’ll start by stepping through the techniques for sensorially Appreciating self and world: Just See, Just Hear, Just Feel, and Note Everything. Then, from the Transcendence quadrant, you’ll work with the techniques that point directly to the primordial great perfection that’s behind and around each experience of self and world: See Source (expand & contract in the visual field), Hear Source (expand & contract in the auditory field), Feel Source (expand & contract in the somatic field), Be Source (expand & contract in everything).
After practicing that for a while, you’ll work with the techniques that train Spontaneity and bounciness in what you do, say, and think, i.e. Auto Move, Auto Speak, and Auto Think. After that you’ll express faith in your primordial perfection by Doing Nothing. Finally, we’ll end by stepping through four Nurture Positivity techniques: See Good, Hear Good, Feel Good, and Be Good.
In preparation for this retreat, please:
Sunday PM - May 13 || 1-5pm Pacific / 4-8pm Eastern
In this program, you’ll practice to deepen the 4 techniques that express the primordial perfection:
- auto move,
- auto speak,
- auto think,
- do nothing.
Each of these trains a new relationship to your motor circuits. Auto move and auto speak gets you in contact with playful spontaneity in the way your body moves and the way sounds and words come out of your mouth. Auto think trains you to notice when the wisdom function is spontaneously present in your thinking. The more you notice that, the stronger it gets. Do nothing trains you to let go of controlling where your attention goes. This will take you back to the state of early childhood when your senses functioned spontaneously as part of the effortless flow of nature.
In preparation for this retreat, please